Saturday 5 January 2013

ITAP Lecture 4 Conectivity


ITAP Lecture 4 Connectivity

Principle 1 – Notions of Originality

When I first heard this principle I didn’t like it and thought it couldn’t possibly be true, were nun of my photographs original. I think during the lecture the moon landings were mentioned, but I wasn’t really listening, I was to busy thinking of photographs that had to be original.

I found myself getting confused with the meanings of uniqueness, originality, and authenticity and not sure if I believe the statement “nothing is original”

Dictionary Definitions

Unique         Being the only existing one of its type or, more generally, unusual or special in some way

Originality    The quality of being special and interesting and not the same as anything or anyone else

Authenticity   The quality of being real or true

By the nature of photographs and paintings each can be unique, by virtue of the moment in time that is captured, settings or brushes / paints used, but outside of this context they may not be original. If you are sticking a flag into a new country or a new planet the event will be historical but the recording of the image is not original.



There’s 500 odd years between Columbus landing on the Americas and Armstrong landing on the moon, but both are pictured planting a flag.



I dislike negative absolutes, but have come to realise that the events that could disprove the statement of originality might just be beyond my own capabilities. The flag on the moon might not have been original but the picture of the earth from Apollo 8 by William Anders in 1968, was and massively change our perspective of planet earth. Earthrise was a product of technological advancement, technologies are expanding exponentially and must lead to truly original images.

As I don’t see myself at the frontier of these advancements, I best start looking for inspiration from what has gone before. It’s an interesting dynamic by looking for my future in the past it changes my perception of it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment