Saturday 5 January 2013


ITAP lecture 2

Principle 1
Over Coming Mindsets


I have listen and watch the news several times a day for more years than I care to remember and so have a fairly established mindset towards the medium. In an effort to change this mindset, I will attempt to make it a practice to draw an item from the news each day. 

This practice will get me drawing more, which help with my RVJ, and will also make me listen to the news from a visual perspective or opportunity and hopefully challenge my routine thoughts about the news.

My current mindset could be challenged further by drawing a topic from different perspectives i.e. victim / perpetrator, positive / negative, or right / wrong, and that sounds like it could be fun.

The news is on as I am writing this and I have images in my head of ghosts from airport pollution being upset that Malala is being flown here for medical attention, while Clint Eastwood, holding a 44 magnum, is asking her if she feels lucky and does she still want an education! 


Principle 4
Developing Ideational Thinking

For our magazine project we were asked to complete a visual mind map of our target audience in a home environment. The aim was to help contextualise aspects of there behaviours, interests, and activities, which would better inform us of the tone of voice to use for the magazine.  

Following this process a picture emerge of a man sitting at a computer which asked the question what was he doing, amongst the random possibilities blogging came up. This was interesting as it then lead to the idea that we could look at blogs about our topic and find the types of voice that are actually being used, further still we could get images of some our target audience.

Drawing the domestic scene helped generated a very personal dynamic. It also created a more comprehensive understanding of the audience than I would have achieved by listing likely attributes, which to me demonstrates the value of this principle. It also restates the position from our first ITAP lecture on the importance of drawing to enhance your creative mind.

I’m off to draw the news J

No comments:

Post a Comment