Saturday 5 January 2013

ITAP Lecture 3


ITAP Lecture 3

I missed this lecture, unfortunately I attended a funeral, but I thought I would give it a go anyway.

Principle 3 Inspiration & Visual Vocabulary


Through the wonders of group dynamics, I have been doing primary and secondary research on the derelict building off Jenner’s Road, for our magazine project. I had visited the site a few times before coming to BCU, but beyond the initial intrigue of the environment, I felt uninspired by the photographic potential, feeling it would only be rehashing what’s been done before.

In an attempted to get a point of difference with our images, I went with Jack, another group member, during the night to get some external shots. We experimented with long exposures using a tripod and separate flash gun on various parts of the building. We got some interesting images by getting half a dozen flashes off per frame. Back at the ranch, I experimented some more with the editing, adjusting light levels, contrast, and B&W effects.








 Being a contrary type, I like making day look like night and night like day. While I was working on the night images it was giving me ideas for daytime photographs. So by working with night photos I found myself getting more interested in the possibilities, or inspired, with other potential ideas, it works if you work it, so work it, as they say.

I was Billy no mates for the Friday workshop, so went off to get some more images, or primary research data. I was interested in getting some images for our IDent and thought of getting some detailed images of the terracotta mouldings that are stored at the back of the works. The mouldings were a let down, loads of them, but nothing worth using they were limited and bland. While I was nosing around I found a heroin burner, and to my amazement it still had powdered heroin in it, bam, I got my detail shot.  



 I got some good images following on from the night shot theme, before going into the main works looking to get some distinctive images. I passed another group seeking to do the same, dow. I was drawn to a battered window with graffiti on it which generated a ghostly cubist style image. Up stairs I experimented with a wide angle lens in the largest remaining room, more out of perseverance than inspiration.





 Once home I am keen to see what I have got and what I can do with them, which to me is as important as the capture. I can really focus on the detail and mood of an image that I am seeking to generate. The style I am developing is minimalistic with a preference for the clarity of black and white and high contrasts that give a gritty texture. I edit the images with a range of effects, aware that my preference isn’t to every ones taste, and prepare a file for group discussion and hope that some get a positive response.



No comments:

Post a Comment